With permission from the Village of Kaslo, the Kaslo Housing Society and their partners New Commons Development, Small Communities Initiative are doing detailed site investigations to determine the feasibility of a rental housing project on fully serviced Village land.
The site to be investigated is on land behind the Kemball Centre building, currently comprised of 3 lots. This land is owned by the Village.
The aim of the project, tentatively called ‘Penny Lane Apartments’, is to provide mixed affordable rental housing that would be safe, secure and affordable for seniors, working households, parents needing assistance, and people living with disabilities.
The investigation is to determine whether there is a feasible rental housing proposal that:
- conforms to the neighbourhood character,
- is acceptable to the community, and
- meets funding guidelines and provides enough housing units to be successful.
The steps identified in the feasibility investigation include:
- public consultation
- environmental site assessment, geotechnical investigation and property survey;
- exploration of solutions for the current uses of the land (presently the property supports the geothermal heating system of the Kemball Centre and is a secure parking area for BC Transit) ; and
- the development of a building design that will include the character of the building, the number of possible units, parking, access and amenity space on site.
If an acceptable and feasible housing project is identified, Kaslo Housing Society will work with its partners to secure funding, and the Village will be asked for its support of the proposal.
The site will require Village approval for an amendment of the Official Community Plan as well as a rezoning appropriate for an affordable multi-unit rental building on that site.
For more information and to find out how you can get involved, please, join us for the following events:
- Oct 22, 7pm: Information Session with Q&A
- Oct 25, noon, Sites Walk – Meet outside the Langham for a 2 hour walk and conversation about potential housing sites and the proposed site for this project
- Oct 26, 7pm: Information Session with Q&A
- Early November, Date TBA
- In person Sessions – Please register for one of our in-person sessions by signing up HERE or by emailing KHS
Join by Zoom at this LINK or by phone at 778 907 2071 Meeting ID: 899 0327 2865